Healing at home



After his extended hospital stay, Wolfe returned to school, scar in tow, determined to make up for lost time.


Summer is a time for brand new memories and restful days. Unfortunately for senior Jackson Wolfe, part of that time was spent huddled in a hospital room more than 2,000 miles away from home.

Wolfe spent the second half of his summer vacation incapacitated after he collapsed his right lung. For days, Wolfe was stuck in an out-of-state hospital in Michigan. He only returned home after eleven days passed for a surgery meant to restore his lung, and begin his healing process.

Wolfe did his best to speed up his recovery in order to make it in time to attend the first day of school.

“I didn’t get to see anyone that I know. I didn’t get to see my friends,” Wolfe said. “I only got to see my mom and dad there.”

However, tragedy struck Wolfe again, as another spontaneous pneumothorax occurred on his left lung. Wolfe returned to the hospital post-haste. This time, he came back to more than a week of missed classes. Reacclimating to regular life has had its fair share of difficulties.

“I can’t physically strain myself for a while,” Wolfe said. “I can’t get back to work at all.”

Now, these consecutive injuries have changed the course of his daily life significantly.

“I mostly just have to take it easy,” Wolfe said. “I can’t lift a lot of weight, I can’t overexert myself, I can’t really run or anything like that.”

Along with these restrictions, Wolfe didn’t feel physically complete after the injuries and the procedures, getting tired more easily and occasionally feeling pain in his sides.

Despite the prolonged stay, senior Nathan Sangria made part of Wolfe’s experience fulfilling and sent him a get well soon card, filled with signatures of friends and classmates.

“I have a lot more respect for him [now] because it’s a lot of stress.” Sangria said. “He was stuck in the hospital for weeks, had to drive home, and had to go through school and having more work.”
Wolfe reacted positively to the sight of familiar faces and their wishes after days of isolation.

“I really love it, honestly,” Wolfe said. “Just having their support means a lot.”